[sugar] Display warnings in sugar

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 16:30:30 EDT 2008

Two answers:
1.  We absolutely need stronger feedback (actually, feedback at all) for
system state, such as disk space, battery level, network failures, and other
similar issues.  This is going to be handled by the notification system,
which is in its infancy in the upcoming 8.2 release, but should mature and
actually be taken advantage of by the following one.  For more information,
see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Designs/Frame#12.  We may later extend the
notification system so that activities, too, can notify the user when
necessary, even if they aren't presently focused.

2. We do already have some facilities in place to replace standard
"dialogs".  There is an Alert class (and a few subclasses) defined which
activities can use to show non-modal alerts and prompt for feedback.  There
are also going to be modal alerts (like the control panel, the object
chooser, and others), but I'm not sure those have been wrapped up into a
class for activities to use at this point.  Cloning code from one of those
modal alerts might be a fair short term solution in "extreme" cases (such as
running out of disk space).

- Eben