Help! Summarizing the xulrunner situation in OLPC

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Jul 16 13:44:57 EDT 2008

Daniel,

It is quiet possible we'll want to pick up gnomevfs2 as a basic library
in a future release (think about the OLPCfs method of accessing the
journal).  We didn't want the old gnomevfs library since that pulled in
the old bonobo horror as a dependency. I'm not familiar with libgnome,
and therefore have no opinion there.
                           - Jim

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 13:00 -0400, Daniel Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 12:43 -0400, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
> > 3. These dependencies will be coming back someday in the upstream, when
> > Mozilla makes these hard dependencies instead of soft dependencies.
>
> Are you saying that, in future, it will not be possible to compile a
> xulrunner without printing support? What about the libgnome/gnomevfs
> dependencies?
>
> > If this analysis is correct, it forces us to answer some key questions.
> >
> > 1. Space.  What are the real space requirements for the xulrunner
> > dependencies?  Do we have any hard numbers that we can analyze?  Is it
> > reasonable to carry all of the dependencies along in OLPC?  How were the
> > decisions made to leave out certain pieces of the xulrunner dependency
> > chain, and can those decisions be revisited?
>
> So far, I don't think we've been considering space footprints for
> specific packages. Instead, we have been considering our OS build as a
> whole: we want to limit it to 300mb, and our F9 builds are currently
> 45mb overweight. http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7353
>
> I recently modified OLPC-3 xulrunner to remove dependencies on libgnome
> and gnomevfs2. Once Dennis has had a chance to review my work to remove
> libgnome deps from other packages too, a huge dependency chain
> (including metacity, icon themes, and plenty more) will fall out of the
> build. Therefore it is quite important that OLPC's xulrunner continues
> to avoid it's dependency on libgnome.
>
> Daniel

Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child