[Localization] How do we manage translation effort in Release, process/roadmap?

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 04:53:02 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 4:58 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The range on our Pootle server is from 0% translated (Aymara, for
>> example) to 99% for German. Spanish, the most used, is at 69%, but
>> almost all of what is missing is in Etoys internals.
>>
>> We could pick a few languages that are in deployments and are close
>> enough to finished for this sort of freeze to be meaningful. My
>> impression as that that would consist of Spanish and French. I invite
>> you to examine http://dev.laptop.org/translate and draw your own
>> conclusions.
>>

> Freeze applies to code (developers need to maintain the freeze), and
> not translations or translation teams individually. If we look at the
> stats for XO core and XO Bundled (at least parts of which are string
> frozen right now) - we have at least 10-15 languages which have
> crossed the 90% percent mark. Which is not too bad.

     I proposed "translation freeze" milestone, because  translators
can know due date to push translations for final build
     and they can plan and manage their own work. (and setting goal
would make people more productive :-)
     In other words, final build have to be planned and executed by
developers after the milestone.

     I wouldn't worry even if the translation is < 100% for some
project with too many strings (like etoys) at the translation freeze
time.

     ** We have been more than happy with near 50% translations for
Japanese Etoys,
      as frequently used in typical Etoys workshop with kids have been
already covered.
      Though I have not yet given up better coverage in future ofcourse :-)

>> It would be helpful if we could get a page generated automatically
>> with some statistics on language projects, but I don't know who could
>> create it. Sayamindu is rather overwhelmed.

     Could you be more specific about the requirement?
     Is the stat shown on Pootle screen right now insufficient for you?

Cheers,
/Korakurider