User-visible Fedora 9 features

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Jul 15 12:50:17 EDT 2008

On Monday 14 July 2008, Michael Stone wrote:
> >From my perspective,
>
> the user-visible and developer-visible feature is that, with root
> authority, you can install RECENT software which is available in Fedora.
> This really matters for G1G1 people and for our ability to attract
> Fedora contributors.
Not so visible is gcc 4.3, glibc 2.8, the ability to have a truely free java,

visible Faster X

Fedora 9 feature list is at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/FeatureList
the fedora feature proposal process is
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy#feature-proposal

tracking of F10 features is
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/FeatureList  We should propose
features for things we want done and advertised.  Sugar as a desktop option
should be a feature for F10,  there is 2 things we need. sugar to work with
NM-0.7 and more activities packaged.   this is a good place where we can up
the visibility of OLPC and sugar.

> The OLPC-visible feature is that nobody is going to accept patches to
> F-7 packages and that nobody is going to be excited about fixing bugs
> that we uncover in them.
Its not that nobody is going to accept patches.  they can,  but there is no
way to build the updates,  all the Fedora 7  tags have been disabled.  there
is no way to build into them.

--
Dennis Gilmore