Journal metadata - buddies as a string?

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Tue Jul 15 05:08:41 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 7:14 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at the .metadata files that the Journal now maintains, I find
> that the buddies field is a string that stores a multidimensional
> array... is this a bug? Or perhaps Xapian cannot sture md arrays?
> Either way, looks like either a big or an artifact from the '90s to me
> :-)
>
> All I care to know is whether this is expected and matches the internal APIs ...

Hi, this is totally expected, you are seeing a JSON serialization of a
dict. Xapian is a fulltext search engine, so we put strings in and get
strings back.

Anyway, the storage of buddies in the journal is lacking in many
aspects. If we are able to devote significant resources to the DS
during the next release, we may be able to do it properly. There's
info in trac about it.

Regards,

Tomeu