Recovered journal (Was: Journal data loss warning)

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Jul 14 20:43:37 EDT 2008

On 15 Jul 2008, at 00:24, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Gary C Martin
> <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
>> I vaguely remember some mention somewhere of the DS folder being
>> moved
>> or renamed, I guess mine just got zapped by that change. I'm assuming
>> (hoping) it died going from 2149 back to 703, but can't be sure as I
>> didn't check the Journal while in 703.
>
> If you upgrade again to the newer build, and then hunt down the
> renamed DS directory (in .sugar/default) you can rename it back into
> place, and it _should_ work.

Ooooh, thanks. After some poking I found the directory as /home/
olpc/.sugar/defaults/datastore1216064892.61 that looked probable and
was large enough to be my old data set (~75mb). I decided to be daring
and removed data (17Mb of a weird mix of downloaded old .xo files and
very old entries in spanish?) and datastore (the newly created and
mostly empty store). Renamed datastore1216064892.61 to datastore and
rebooted... All looks to be back in place and working!

Many thanks for the hint Martin (and I think to Tomeu for the
directory rename escape hatch)!

--Gary

P.S. It's a little like some folks like to keep score with their
uptime, I'm kinda proud (of Sugar) that in all my build testing it
hasn't (to my knowledge) lost a journal entry since I clean installed
this B4 over 5 months and 2 weeks ago. I'll treat today as a close
shave :-)