LZO support

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Mon Jul 14 13:41:42 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>>   > - Another option is to provide a one-time flag passed at file
>>   > creation time (O_CREAT) to enable/disable compression. This would
>>   > also require VFS changes but I think would be simpler; however,
>>   > this case has the problem that all applications that may at one
>>   > time write a file that does not need compression need to be
>>   > modified to support this extension.
>>
>> I think this would get us 90% of the way there with a little work.
>> I don't care about arbitrary code being able to set no-compression
>> as much as I care about code we control being able to do so.
>
> What about not compressing by default? Then modify pilgrim to compress
> depending on the kind of file (or compress all of them). And then let
> activities that want to compress their data to do so? I can only think
> of etoys as needing it, any other?

That might be reasonable to try.  mkjffs2 will always try zlib and
rtime compression when it creates the filesystem; all that would be
required is to build a kernel where jffs2 did not try to compress by
default (which is different than disabling compression support).

I guess the journal could always take over the burden of compressing
its entries if needed.
  --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )