Activity Backward Compatibility (was re: Re: joyride 2128 smoketest)

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Mon Jul 14 12:32:09 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com> wrote:
> when that button is pressed.  The problem with this design, of course,
> is that it exposes the email in a place where spammers can easily find

Yes, that is life in the 200x's.  Every major package management
system has this feature.  Deal with it & tune your filters.

> it. This is really of concern mostly because we expect kids to create
> and maintain activities eventually as well.  Of course, assuming the

No one's forcing the kids to provide email addresses.  We're just
strongly suggesting that activities which are "maintained" by someone
(either by OLPC for G1G1 or by countries for their deployments) have
working addresses.

Also, there's nothing saying that this has to be a particular person's
email address.  It could be a list, or a mailinator account, or pass
through an anonymizer or something else.

> kids have an email account at all to provide, there's surely no way to
> prevent them from being spammed at all...should the field be optional?
>  optional unless under contract?

It is optional, but its presence should be noted as one of the
"positive factors" when evaluating whether an activity you wish to
include in your deployment is "high quality".
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )