LZO support

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Mon Jul 14 12:19:16 EDT 2008

Hi,

   > Based on some very provisional testing, I believe that the extremely
   > long save times we're seeing in EToys are at least partly related
   > to our use of zlib compression for data nodes in the filesystem.
   > We could switch to LZO compression for a 500% speedup in
   > compression (write), a 50% speedup in decompression (read), and a
   > slight (but significant) decrease in compression ratio.

I prefer aiming at #2886 ("Some files shouldn't be compressed by
jffs2"), which goes a long way to solving the user problems without
introducing the logistical cost of LZO support in OFW or partitions.

Saving a movie would be faster still than LZO if we could just tell
jffs2 that we're giving it compressed data that it shouldn't recompress.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>