Activity Backward Compatibility (was re: Re: joyride 2128 smoketest)

Kim Quirk kim at laptop.org
Mon Jul 14 10:09:06 EDT 2008

I've been thinking about this problem for the last year -- when it first
became obvious (to me) that:

1 - we were definitely NOT going to be able to lock down APIs for at least a
year or two
2 - we have no control over the activity developers and the maintainability
of any given activity (unless we decide to 'own' it)
3 - all standard 'best practices' for ensure that 'customers' can keep
working seamlessly through upgrades have to be dropped for the OLPC project

And the only 'real' solutions I have come up with are:

1 - completely separate the activities from the OS in order to help people
understand that most activities are NOT supported or maintained by OLPC;
they need to be able to upgrade activities as needed and not wait for new
releases from OLPC
2 - push for 'school year' releases (fall and spring); where a school will
pick a release and use it for the entire school year so we don't have to
worry about upgrades in between that time

and, most recently you will hear me pushing for:

3 - Encourage schools to completely reflash (cleaninstall) their laptops
each year. At the end of the school year, you save away kids data (hopefully
that is done automatically) and you do a cleaninstall of the next year's
image; retest all the latest versions of Activities that you want to use;
and provide 'clean' laptops to the kids at the start of the next school
year.

If schools agree that this a good idea (it also wipes all the data and
provides students with a lot more room); then what I would push for is that
saved data can continue to work on upgraded activities -- this is something
that the activity developers have to worry about, but it decreases the test
effort quite a bit and recommends that schools retest activities between
school years.

Kim