olpc-updating from another XO

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Sat Jul 12 09:08:06 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Morgan Collett
<morgan.collett at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to update an XO (with build 656) from another XO (currently
> joyride 2133 or so).

You are likely seeing http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7448.  I made a fix
in pilgrim which is in joyride-2153 and later; I haven't tested an
upgrade from 656 yet to confirm that my patch completely fixed the
problem; there might be other troublesome symlinks.

> (I have tried about 10 times to olpc-update this XO over the Internet
> but sooner or later it always fails, and when I retry it starts over.

Yes, 656 is not very smart about retries.  =(  More recent
olpc-updates do much better.  You might try using the '-f' option.

> Following the directions on
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Olpc-update#Update_Using_Another_Laptop I
> set up the hints file. However I get the following when running
[...]
> Is the version of olpc-update on 656 perhaps too old? Anything else I can try?

No, the layout expected by olpc-update hasn't changed since 650.
However, I think the instructions on the wiki are either not quite
complete, or have been edited since the last time I went through and
tested them.

olpc-update will expect a directory structure like the following under
the root path you provide in the hints file:
  <base>/contents
  <base>/root/usr
  <base>/root/bin
  etc

The rsync.conf file provided seems to be putting the contents file at
<base>/contents/contents, if I'm reading it correctly.   Do:
  rsync updates.laptop.org::build-joyride-2153/
and make sure your XO server's filespace looks the same.

*Finally*: I think you'd be best off just using a USB upgrade:
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Olpc-update#USB_upgrade

Keeping in mind that all of these schemes may fail on 656 due the trac
#7448.   Updating your olpcupdate RPM will solve #7448, but then you
hit http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7372 .

I'll fix these bugs, it just takes time!
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )