[Localization] How do we manage translation effort in Release, process/roadmap?

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 05:24:53 EDT 2008

Hi Sayamindu.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Korakurider,
> Thanks for your input. I have put up a basic document at
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Localization/Workflow Comments and brickbats
> are welcome :-).

  Thank you, this is handy and very useful as a base of further discussion !
  My comments follow:

  a) Could you show the exact schedule for jobs  on Wiki or some page
on Pootle server?
  Without that knowledge, I have been checking everyday when POT is
merged to PO actually after every time I notice update to the POT on
etoys-notify list.

    **  It would make our life easier if timestamp and participant for
the last interesting events ( at least, and history hopefully) are
shown on Pootle screen. (that make it like "real portal" :-)
          + POT generation
          + merge POT to POs
          + change to translations/fuzzy flags of each POs
          + change to suggestion for each POs
          + the latest commit of each POs to repo
          + upload/merge (if it really works :-)

     At this time the person who did them only knows what have been
done actually, that make team work difficult.

  b) As asked in another thread; from this picture I can't see where
the POT included in XO bundle came from.
      and which is the master of POT that is being linked from wiki
page for each activities.

  c) We have seen too many incidents that translator tried to
upload/merge POs (especially etoys. po :-<) by himself with Pootle
interface and Pootle went down.  Do you really want to support the
functionality right now? (though it might work for POs other than
etoys.po)

> Regarding you questions - please see inline :-)
    thanks, this clears !

> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Korakurider <korakurider at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Now, my turn to ask :-)  I don't know who is the right one to ask though...
>>
>> (1) They say SugarLabs is upstream of Sugar software and OLPC is one of distro.
>> Then, which POs are still "owned" by OLPC?
>> (Packaging/Pootle/Activation Server/OLPC Web site projects are obvious
>> :-)
>> For Sugar. will commit from Pootle go to upstream(SugarLab)  or distro(OLPC)?
>> Which will POT come from ?
>>

> My personal opinion (I am open to suggestions) that all translations
> should go directly upstream as much as possible. Distro specific
> efforts for translations (unless you are talking about distro specific
> tools, etc) have been badly bitten in the past.
   I agree, while agreement with between OLPC and SL would be needed.
   Note they haven't mentioned about translation of software in SL
Wiki, that confused me.

>> (2) SugarLabs have declared string freeze for 8.2.  But I am not sure
>> specifically which POT/POs are governed by their declaration.
>> sugar.po/sugar-base.po/sugar-toolkit.po come to mind.
>> And I think other activities in XO-Core (that are also included in
>> their software stack as "Demo activities") aren't governed. right?
>>

> I think I answered this.
>
> * sugar-base
> * sugar-toolkit
> * sugar
> *  chat-activity
> * web-activity
> * read-activity
> * log-activity
> * write-activity
> * calculate-activity
> * terminal-activity
> * pippy-activity
> * etoys-activity
>
> I will probably try to arrange the projects in our Pootle server at
> some point to reflect this.
>
>> (3) OLPC have stopped to bundle activities with base software.  Now
>> release cycle for them doesn't have to be aligned to XO software from
>> OLPC's point of view.  But I think It would be still better to try to
>> let them aligned for refreshing translations.
>> Note that even if the package is enough mature, additional build would
>> be needed to pull new translations (new languages for instance).
>> Right now it is hard to know when my updated translations for some
>> activities will be pulled into the packages :-<
>>

> For the sugar stuff - expect a following of the release cycles. For
> other stuff - there is really no way to know. However, I would like to
> request developers to announce releases a few days in advance in the
> localization list, so that translators can prioritize and/or commit
> appropriately.
    my point exactly.  I really hope to see such collaboration.

Cheers,
/Korakurider