[IAEP] booting XO-Live CD from usb key

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 11:03:09 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:50 PM, <WolfgangRohrmoser at web.de> wrote:

> On Monday 16 June 2008 11:17, you wrote:
> > Bill,
> >
> > your best bet might be to ask the LiveCD creator himself - cc'ed.
> >
> > - Bert -
> >
> > Begin forwarded message:
> > > From: "Bill Kerr" <billkerr at gmail.com>
> > > Date: 16. Juni 2008 08:47:25 MESZ
> > > To: "its. an. education. project"
> > > <its.an.education.project at tema.lo-res.org
> > >
> > > Cc: Paul T <paultz at gmail.com>
> > > Subject: [IAEP] booting XO-Live CD from usb key
> > >
> > > has anyone successfully booted the XO-Live CD from a usb key?
> > > (if so we can run it in my classes at school where the CD drives
> > > have been disabled due to student vandalism)
>
> The CD-image of the recent XO-LiveCD (Version 080607) contains a
> script to copy the data on a USB key and make it bootable.
> The steps can be summarized to:
>
>  *  mount the CD (or ISO-image) on a Linux Computer.
>  *  open a console (shell) and go into the directory tools/
>  *  insert a usb memory device and
>  *  start:
>                  ./make_usbstick.sh -d <block-device> -m <cd-mount-point>
>
>    (Hint:   ./make_usbstick.sh -h  gives more documentation)
>
> It should work, if you have any problems please let me know :)
>
> regards
>                      Wolfgang

hi wolfgang,

did finally get a key working but couldn't get your recommended method to
work

a friend showed me another way of doing it, which I'll quote here:

thanks to puppy-rox
http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/official-releases/puppy-linux-40-dingo#comment-188

download http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

i downloaded the windows version   - process should be the similar with
 linux version
format your usb drive under windows   (or delete all the files of it if
already windows format)

run the downloaded file unetbootin-windows-lastest.exe

it should find your usb drive

click on the diskimage radiobutton
browse to your  XO -live CD  iso   (must have it in iso format - cant use a
burnt cd)

click on OK
wait till files are copied
reboot off USB Drive