[sugar] Relationships w/ upstream.

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 16:56:14 EDT 2008

> To the extent that sugarlabs is going to operate as a "true upstream",
> they need to be cognizant of the fact that OLPC will at times put its
> goals/process ahead of "upstream's" goals/process.

I'll be presumptuous and speak on behalf of "upstream."  Sugar
developers are cognizant of the needs of OLPC and will go out of their
way to make sure that the (by far) largest Sugar deployment is
successful. Has this been questioned?

> At the moment, I've been assured that upstream does *not* want to fork
> sugar, and in fact will go out of its way, making special exceptions
> for OLPC patches which conflict with sugar freezes.

At present, there is no reason to fork Sugar that I am aware of and as
with any project, there is a mechanism for requesting "special
exceptions", for example CJB's request regarding OHM and the Sugar
Control Panel.

It is hard to tell from #7381 what the heated discussion on IRC may
have been about. There is certainly not consensus regarding the merits
of the "free-form" Home View, but it is being accepted upstream,
AFAIK. We do plan some user studies of this View, the results of which
may (or may not) be compelling evidence to reopen this decision.

-walter