8.2.0 Beta Test

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 11:53:40 EDT 2008

Hi Bryan,

Now that we are making progress on your requests I want to ask for some
quid pro quo :-)

Can your team allocate time to "beta" test 8.2.0?

Can you write up a test plan and include kids and teachers in the test?

Let me know if you are sure Nepal will deploy 8.2.0 regardless of the
status of your two items (launch activity from URL and remove activity).
I think the first one is not going to make 8.2 while the second has a
chance but its not certain yet.

Regardless we could use some real field testing of this release before
its final, if possible. I'm not sure of the exact time frame but its
likely to start very soon and run through mid August.

My preference would be a focus on regression testing. That is, making
sure nothing you used in the past is broken. You can also look at new
functionality but it may be hard to differentiate a bug from a feature
request until we have good documentation on what has been added.

Requesting new features not in the 8.2.0 plan would be outside this
"beta" cycle.

Let me know if you can help with that.

If any other deployments are watching this thread and you can help test
before release let us know ASAP.

To All,

I could also use a full list of everyone who will try out the release
candidates. If plan to try a release candidate can you put your name on
this page?
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/8.2.0#Put_Your_Name_Here_to_Confirm_You_Will_Try_the_Release_Candidate

Include a brief note on who you are (e.g. deployment, developer etc) and
what you can test. If you want a chance to give a "+1" or "-1" style
comment on the suitability of the release it will help if you sign up
here first.

Let me know if people have any comments or suggestion on other ways to
verify the quality of this release. BTW I'm not trying to implement a
new process here by fiat. Just trying to gauge how much testing we can
expect on this release before we can it final.

Let me know if that is not clear or you need any more info.

Any comments, questions, additions or objections gratefully received.

Thanks,

Greg S