Seamless Lessons & Security (commentary)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 10:54:17 EDT 2008

2008/7/7 Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>:
> ...yields:
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/~mdengler/launch-by-click-ie.jpg
>
> ...so perhaps I need a different understanding of "launch-by-click" for
> executables.  Please accept my apologies for wasting your/others time
> if I've misunderstood.

I think that the dialogue you captured is the "seam" people are
talking about :-)

In any case, I think this discussion has missed that what Bryan is
requesting is *much* saner from a security POV than downloading
putty.exe (which is as bad as it gets). Bryan wants to be able to
provide links that start existing activities on the XO - a
document-triggered launch (using JEBs) is good enough, and I think it
can be deemed reasonably safe. We trust (and confine) the activities
on the box.

So I don't think there's a major problem here.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions