Seamless Lessons & Security (commentary)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Jul 7 04:34:35 EDT 2008

Am 07.07.2008 um 06:41 schrieb Bryan Berry:

> seamful approach sounds workable to me
>
> This is a very productive discussion!

Well, currently our "seam" is an abyss you have to jump over. But
people are arguing there is no problem (see #6958 "I don't understand
what the issue is. The system already supports this.")

Taking the learner out of context (say, clicking an URL) to a totally
different, information-laden view (the Journal details page) where she
has to remember to click in a specific spot (top right corner icon) is
at best doing the Pavlovian training Bitfrost set out to not let
happen. It can although completely wreck the train of thought.

But a seam does not have to be disruptive.

A better design for this might be to show one of our ubiquitous little
black menu palette with the top entry being "open in <activity>". This
palette would be shown by a trusted party (Sugar shell) at the
position of the mouse pointer so requires explicit user interaction,
but it would still feel in-context, it would not shift focus to a
different screen location etc.

- Bert -