Inappropriate use of private meetings & lists.

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Wed Jul 2 03:19:52 EDT 2008

> There are top-down decisions being made by a few people that drive the
> direction of OLPC. These decisions are not waiting for consensus, and
> they are made by a small number of people. I don't believe this is
> going to change (at least not in the short term).

I, personally, do not care who makes decisions, as long as he is smart
and makes "good" decisions. The problem is that usually I am not
notified of such decisions.

For example, the move from 32 bit to 16 bit frame buffer just happened
silently. One day people debated its merits on this list without
reaching any conclusions. Some months later it was 16 bit. Nobody told it.

A similar thing is that I am trying to get an answer to the question
whether the XO image will be moved to LZO compression or not when we
will be rebased to F9. The reason is that I am currently tuning the LZO
decompression code and want to know whether this effort is moot or not.
Most likely this was already decided by somebody, and frankly I am not
qualified enough to debate this decision, I just want to know what it is.

Note that I had to reply all to this message and then delete all
recipients and then replace CC devel with TO devel. The reason is that
this devel list is not set up that the reply-to would be the devel list,
and if I do not delete others then the conversation often slips outside
devel. See, even the main mailing list is configured wrong.