my XO has difficulty with f9

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Jul 1 12:09:12 EDT 2008

>> I may have caused that by (at that first
>> boot) making some sort of change that worked with f7 but not with f9
>
> That seems likely, but the olpc-update system should ensure that
> you've got a clean system (no extra RPMs) when you revert.  I would
> hope that even if X doesn't start (especially if X doesn't start) you
> can still get a console and/or use alt-boot (hold down 'O' at boot) to
> fix things.  That's the whole point, after all.

Close, but no cigar.  The first time (after X did not start) I
booted with 'O'.  The previously-running version came up, but
without Journal or any Activities.  I looked everywhere (/var/log,
/home/olpc/.sugar/default/logs, etc.) for a clue as to how come --
but found no "footprints" anywhere.  And could not start anything
meaningful from the text console - kept getting messages like "no
display".  To be able to continue, did a nand reflash.  And that
wiped having something for 'O' to load.

Don't remember what all customizations I had tried to apply to f9,
that could have screwed up X starting.

> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7357 and
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7348 looks like the two biggest blockers
> to more people trying joyride right now.

To me they're not.  If I can bypass 7357 with 'check', that's good
enough for me.  And I actually LIKE 7348 -- I normally do not use
the Journal to access removable storage devices, so having no
Journal icon is no problem for me.

In fact, I wrote http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6584 to complain about
the Journal scanning removable storage devices for their content;
that ticket has now been closed with this notation about removable
storage devices: "USB sticks will stop being available from the
journal, instead being accessible in a simpler view in the shell".

I am perfectly willing to do outside-of-Journal mounts.

If I remember correctly (things were not going right), when in
Joyride 2089 I plugged an USB stick directly into the XO, nothing of
any note happened.  In particular, the drivers did not create
(recognize?) a /dev DEVICE that I could manually use in a 'mount'
command.

mikus

p.s.  IIRC, the time I tried plugging my USB hard drive directly
into the XO (Joyride 2089, Q2D16), OFW complained mightily about
partition-type being Linux on a DOS or something device.  [OFW in f9
was not able to access that hard drive - telling me 'Can't open disk
label package'.  OFW in f7 has no problem, even though it's the same
firmware !]