First Draft Development Process Proposal

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 09:25:56 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 11:20, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:

>>> 3) Stable collaboration :) I know this is a hard one.
>>
>> We just put Cerebro into joyride. We think that some activities, such as
>> Read, will be easy to modify to use it. You might try it and see. Which
>> activities do you care about most in this regard?
>>
>> (If you want to play with Cerebro on your existing image, then just
>> install the RPM and poke Polychronis if you need help.)
>
> I thought the plan was to find a way to use Cerebro without having to
> rewrite activities. Has this changed or are you just suggesting a short
> term solution?

Cerebro currently has a different API to Telepathy.

I chatted to Polychronis while I was at 1CC, and we are considering
(as a short term project) porting Read to the Cerebro API as a test
case: to investigate/demonstrate how well collaboration performs using
Cerebro, using an activity that has shown problems on the current
setup. This will also give an idea between the difference between the
functionality offered by telepathy-salut and Cerebro.

The medium term plan is to integrate Cerebro into a Telepathy
connection manager. This may result in building abstractions (Clique)
on top of Cerebro in an inefficient way if the models are very
different, as they appear to be - and also without using features that
Cerebro offers such as file transfer. In any case it may well be an
improvement over salut over a mesh network.

Based on this, the long term may involve abstracting out the API that
activities and Sugar need, to a general API that can use either the
Telepathy API or the full Cerebro API - assuming we can't merge these
enough.

That's my understanding, which will be adjusted based on further
communication :)

Regards
Morgan