boot timings

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Tue Jul 1 08:29:49 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 8:21 AM,  <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
> bert wrote:
>  > Am 27.06.2008 um 21:55 schrieb pgf at laptop.org:
> the only suspicious USB-related thing that i noticed was the 1.6
> seconds in the firmware, apparently to discover the wireless.  in
> the normal boot case i wouldn't think we'd need this, but perhaps
> in the truly normal case (no dev key) we don't do it.  i didn't
> re-run the test with no dev key.

No, I suspect that's the ~1.5s it takes to verify the signature on the
dev key.  For many deployments that will be 1.5s to check a signature
on an activation lease.  The original design was to cache that check
in some secure manner, but there's not really any appropriate
protected space on the G1G1 design.  (SPI flash would be it, but it's
too risky to write to routinely.)
  --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )