boot timings

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Jul 1 08:09:26 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 5:15 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> Am 27.06.2008 um 21:55 schrieb pgf at laptop.org:
> On the software-side, sshd takes close to 3 secs to start, would make
> sense to disable in user builds - without a password it is not useful
> anyway.

I think one near-term solution is to try to use upstart to defer more
service startups, so that we launch X (and sugar) just as soon as
possible.  sshd and anacron (for instance) would be perfectly happy
starting 10 seconds or a minute later.  (help wanted here)

> But the one thing that really stands out as silly is that we could
> shave a whopping 20 secs off the shutdown by not trying to unmount the
> missing /security/.private ...

Yes, that's part of the olpcrd security work that's on my plate.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )