[OLPC India] Power Management

Arjun Sarwal arjun at laptop.org
Thu Jan 31 12:21:35 EST 2008

> Did anyone work in the measure activity? Will it measure the input from the
> power input port? Can it show the power variations coming in? Is it through
> that the charging and discharging of the battery calculated?

Yes the measure activity can measure DC voltages but only in the range
0.3V to 1.9V. So you'd need some appropriate additional peripherals
(voltage divider?) to measure the voltage in the range that you are
mentioning (around 12V)

> How could we get the power management interface? Is it the terminal itself?
>
> To consume low power for each activity, it is told that the power management
> of the activity should be on. Where is it set on? I have looked into each of
> the activities but couldn't find any such setting in it. If it is done in
> the terminal, what is the command used for it?

AFAIK there is no "switch" in Activities for power management, but
rather guidelines to conform with the power management principles, for
example the Activity shouldn't consume any CPU cycles when it is in
the background...

> What does the Ohm do in OLPC? Is it an activity entirely for the power
> management in OLPC? Can it show the variations of the power used in the
> OLPC?

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Power_Management

And further questions related to this would be best discussed on the
devel list  ( http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel )

thanks,
--Arjun