Salut/avahi/meshview issues

Michail Bletsas mbletsas at laptop.org
Wed Jan 30 09:27:06 EST 2008

Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd at luon.net> wrote on 01/30/2008 06:45:48 AM:

> Well both avahi and salut are quite capable. I'm not sure why it hassuch
a bad
> reputation with you. Probably because your only seeing it in a very very
> exterme network and because there seems to be a lot of FUD about mdns
going
> around. MDNS definately isn't an optimal protocol for a mesh, but most
of the
> issues in big rollouts are actually caused by the wireless firmware not
being
> good enough to do actual multicast routing.

Have you given any thought to the overhead (just in traffic - let's leave
memory out of the question right now) required to do what you call "actual
multicast routing" in the firmware? We all understand how difficult is
what we are trying to achieve. The firmware hasn't changed much since you
started working on this project. So, let's drop the finger pointing and
try to come up with realistic and implementable solutions.

Yianni does testing, he doesn't care where specifically the problem is,
all that he wants is to see something that works.

M.