tcp/ip assumptions

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Tue Jan 29 18:57:45 EST 2008

2008-01-29T05:18:00 Mikus Grinbergs:
> I may be mistaken, but I believe I've read Linux descriptions of
> NTP which allowed the server URL to be prepended with a proxy-URL.

I doubt it; NTP is a protocol that takes things like packet latency
very seriously, and rather depends on symmetric delays in each
direction.

Perhaps you're thinking of htpdate, which allows setting the system
clock from the date+time header in an HTTP response. If I were on
the other side of an application proxy from the internet that's what
I'd turn to.

-Bennett