tcp/ip assumptions

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jan 29 18:48:30 EST 2008

On 29/01/2008, at 6:23 PM, Hal Murray wrote:
> A proxy is a box that listens on one side and processes packets at the
> application (web/HTTP) level and replays the requests out another
> side.
> Sometimes those "sides" are two different ethernet interfaces.

Yes, Mikus' configuration description matches an application proxy
system rather than the conventional transparent proxy or NAT system.
It is one of the most secure techniques, since the application
proxies themselves are hard to attack.  It has gone out of fashion
though.

As such, the XO software will not work well with it.

We could do with someone working through the activities, Sugar, and
the OS build to characterise the network connectivity demanded, and
what happens if it isn't present.  Perhaps this could go into the
Wiki.  But I don't think it is "core" ... as the school servers will
handle it.  It will be of use to those G1G1 users who have an
application proxy.

--
James Cameron