[OLPC library] MATLAB for OLPC?

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 28 17:24:43 EST 2008

On Jan 28, 2008, at 8:04 PM, Cleve Moler wrote:
> (I doubt that MATLAB runs in the OLPC, but I'm not sure.)

According to the system requirements[0] for MATLAB 7.5, it won't run
on the XO laptop due to insufficient RAM (256MB present, 512MB
required). In a perfect world, that would mean you'd pick an older
version that runs on our hardware and consider open sourcing it, like
EA did with the tremendously popular SimCity[1]. The latter made
gamers around the world rejoice -- perhaps MathWorks could do the same
for us math-heads; getting some real numerical analysis tools into the
kids' hands would be awfully exciting.

Cheers,
Ivan.

[0] <http://www.mathworks.com/support/sysreq/current_release/linux.html>