PDF reader not really user friendly...

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Sat Jan 26 16:11:31 EST 2008

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008, Chas. Owens wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2008 1:16 PM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Yes, the page-up (O) and page-down (X) buttons should move to the
>>> start of the next and previous pages not scroll a fixed amount.
>>
>> Could you provide some justification for this approach?  Paging
>> exactly one screen height seems most logical to me, as there's no
>> guarantee that a full page fits on screen.  Of course, when a full
>> page does fit on screen, the techniques are equivalent.
> snip
>
> Scrolling within a page is done by the rocker/arrow keys scrolling
> pages should be done by O and X/Page Up and Page Down.  The page
> nature of the scrolling is in the name of the key.  On the web you
> don't have "pages", so it makes sense to scroll screens instead, but
> with PDFs you do have pages and it makes sense to scroll them.  The
> square and check keys (currently mapped to Home and End), don't see to
> be of much use to me, perhaps they could be retasked as scroll screen
> keys.

I definantly disagree with this.the standard for computer software is that
page up/down move you one visable page (i.e. one screen worth) at a time,
not the mount that would fit on one piece of paper at a time (some
software will overlap the pages by moving a line or two less than a page)

try this with any existingpdf reader or any word processing software and
you will see them working the same way.

the OLPC software should not be any different.

David Lang