XO as standalone dev system

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Fri Jan 25 21:28:53 EST 2008

2008-01-26T02:13:38 Chris Ball:
> > I've gotta stand with the view that a gizmo with 256MB RAM, 1GB
> > "disk", and a 430MHz x86 is adequate for full system dev.
>
> Everything is possible, just very slowly.

If the system isn't thrashing, you can do other things to entertain
yourself while a slow compile runs.

>    > Does bootanim pull it's 60MB size freight? That's the only thing
>    > that struck my eye in a review of rpms by size.
>
> How did you get the 60M number?

	rpm -qa --queryformat '%{SIZE} %{NAME}\n'|sort -n

Ogle results, confirm with "rpm -qi bootanim". Looks like
/usr/share/boot-anim is 58MB (from ogling rpm -qlv bootanim|less),
those 2MB frameNN.565 files do seem to add up).

-Bennett