XO as standalone dev system (was: Re: compiler / glibc optimization)

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Fri Jan 25 21:02:00 EST 2008

I've gotta stand with the view that a gizmo with 256MB RAM, 1GB
"disk", and a 430MHz x86 is adequate for full system dev.

I think I'm willing to concede that the same gizmo doesn't
necessarily have to be tuned for kernel recompiles and system lib
rebuilding, and for first explorations by young kids at the same
time. Tossing in that lovely 15x30pc font and the voodoo escape
sequence to get black foreground on the fb consoles, plus a handy
telinit 3 cure a lot of the gui pork.

Does bootanim pull it's 60MB size freight? That's the only thing
that struck my eye in a review of rpms by size.

If the same box can be either sugar or a heavy-duty dev box I think
that's sufficient.

I maintain a linux distro based on uclibc with strictly static
linking, no shared libs at all. It's primary dev home has 128MB and
a Transmeta Crusoe at 660MHz. It's using 2.1GB of it's 4GB disk, but
that includes the complete sources for the 355 packages it includes,
ranging up to biggies like a few different kernels, gcc, and the
like. And shared libs save space, too.

-Bennett