power management experiences with joyride-1572

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Fri Jan 25 19:58:42 EST 2008

Chris Ball wrote:

>    >> Can I wake up 10 seconds from now?  Is there a timer in any of the
>    >> hardware that is left running?
>
>    > Yes, but the software does not support this yet.  See bug #4606:
>    > http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4606
>
> We don't *use* the southbridge RTC wakeup, but it's not strictly true
> that we don't support it.  You can set your own wakeups easily:
>
>    # rtcwake -s 120
>    <after 30s, the laptop should suspend due to idleness>
>    <after another 90s, the laptop should wake itself>
>
> rtcwake is in the OLPC build already.
>
> - Chris.

RTC wakeups have a chance of hitting #1835 because the EC cannot prevent
the short cycle of the control line to the voltage regulator so we don't
use them.  Andres has discussed prohibiting RTC wakeups in kernel space
but I suggested we put that in the "don't do that" category since he has
higher priority stuff to worry about.

The safe way to schedule a future wake up will be to use a EC timer.

The framework for this exists but I don't have the kernel facing EC
command plumbed yet.  This timer will allow you to schedule a wakeup
with about 10ms resolution up to 24 days in the future.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child