compiler / glibc optimization

Vasilis Liaskovitis vliaskov at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 20:06:06 EST 2008

Hi,

I received my OLPC through g1g1 a few days ago. I 'd like to
contribute to gcc/library testing and workload characterization /
profiling. I have a couple of questions regarding the gcc / glibc
optimization effort:

1) I haven't found a default gcc in my xo system - if there is one,
where is it installed ?

I have built my own gcc from gcc4.3 svn with a similar configuration
as  the gnashdev project
(http://wiki.gnashdev.org/wiki/index.php/Building_OLPC_Tools)
Is the geode-patched gcc4.2.1 preferrable for integration with the XO?

2) My XO uses glibc2.6-4. I have reproduced the performance
improvement from John Zulauf's optimizations (memcpy, memcmp, memset,
strcmp, strcpy, strlen) against the local 2.6-4 implementation.
The 2.6.5 glibc built on the gnashdev project includes these
optimizations except from strcpy. Does anyone know why that is? Is the
gnashdev build pushed for inclusion in upcoming stable systems?

3) Are there any important libraries or tools that still need to be
analyzed/profiled or optimized for geode? FFTW, BLAS are mentioned on
the optimization effort wiki/thread - are they being benchmarked by
someone? Similarly, any important XO applications/system components
that need to be benchmarked/ profiled with the default toolchains or
with a newer toolchain? Any wiki links are appreciated.

thanks for your time,

- Vasilis