power management experiences with joyride-1572

Frank Ch. Eigler fche at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 19:31:38 EST 2008

Hi -

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:47:09AM +0100, Ivan Krstić wrote:
> >The computer's going to be turned off a lot of the time, even when
> >it doesn't look to you like it's obviously off, and that's just
> >something people writing software for the XO will have to change the
> >way they program for.  [...]
>
> FWIW, I think it's the only reasonable answer.

That may however set the bar way too high.  After all, if the all
brand new XO-focused software doesn't already do this
(mostly-blocked/sleeping, no polling) style of programming, naively
ported or amateur-contributed stuff definitely won't.  So you may end
up needing a tool that applies heuristics and overrides the CPU
requests of poor programs.

- FChE