Hershey Felder, Zulu Musical Instruments, Essential To Develop Musical Traditions In Africa

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 14:18:22 EST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 8:09 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb at cesmail.net> wrote:

> william romsay wrote:
> > Hershey Felder, Zulu Musical Instruments, Essential To Develop Musical
> > Traditions In Africa
> >

> > African music is the music of Africans who live in a large region of 50
> > nations, each with a special culture, history and language, South of
> > Sahara. Zulu musical instruments are part of this multilingual culture.
> > African music has some distinct characteristics: the use of repetition
> > is one of them. Another important characteristic is the polyphony; this
> > is the combination of different musical parts played simultaneously.

This is a quotation from
http://ezinearticles.com/?Zulu-Musical-Instruments,-Essential-To-Develop-Musical-Traditions-In-Africa&id=507181

This has apparently been spammed around so much that Zulu Musical
Instruments pops up as a suggested search in the Google toolbar. It
gets about 88,000 hits.

> 1. Interesting ... can you post some links?

Wikipedia says (with lots of links)

African musical instruments include a wide array of drums, slit gongs,
rattles, double bells as well as melodic instruments like string
instruments, (musical bows, different types of harps and harp-like
instruments like the Kora as well as fiddles), many types of xylophone
and lamellophone such as the mbira and different types of wind
instrument like flutes and trumpets.

Drums used in African traditional music include tama talking drums,
bougarabou and djembe in West Africa, water drums in Central and West
Africa, and the different types of ngoma drums (pronounced by some
"engoma") in Central and Southern Africa.

and then

External links

    * African Music
    * A collection of contemporary & classic African Music videos
    * A glossary of African music styles
    * International Library of African Music at Rhodes University
Department of Music And Musicology
    * Rhythms of the Continent (BBC)
    * Some African musical instruments

> 2. I think it's time the OLPC project had a list specific to audio on
> the XO and the "world music" aspects of it. Does someone on the project
> want to create such a list in the main MailMan area, or should I go
> ahead and start a Google group on the subject?

Mailman, I would think. I have been talking to musicians who would
like to help the children learn recording techniques and the music
business. In particular, how not to get ripped off in contracts.

There is a murder mystery set in the music business (Sorry, I don't
know its name.) An executive mentions A&R (Artists & Repertory). The
detective says, "Wait a minute. In my business A&R means assault and
robbery. What is it in yours?" The executive responds, "That's about
right."

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/