Why can't i access /dev/dsp or /dev/snd on my XO

Walter Bender walter at laptop.org
Mon Jan 21 12:27:12 EST 2008

Albert,
(a) please refrain from dispersion--it is not productive.
(b) as has been pointed out repeatedly, CSound is an open standard
(which incidentally predates the MIDI standard).
(c) Victor gave some very compelling reasons as to why CSound is a
better choice, especially for a program that is reaching out to
non-Western musical sensibilities.

-walter

On Jan 21, 2008 12:21 PM, Albert Cahalan <acahalan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2008 6:34 AM, victor <Victor.Lazzarini at nuim.ie> wrote:
>
> > It's not a matter of trying to get a non-standard format
> > across. Not all; it is a matter of supporting more possibilities.
> > Besides, as I pointed out, MIDI will play alright on Csound,
> > even if it is a poor way of conveying musical data.
>
> That sounds like an argument Microsoft would make.
> Common open standards are not good enough.
>
> > But hey, if MIDI looks damn good to you, it is worthless
> > trying to say anything else. Good luck.
>
> I guess you admit that MIDI is damn good? You've
> given no reason why it will not do.
>
> I don't believe there can be such a reason, because
> in the extreme you could just embed csound data.
> Obviously, doing that for normal music would be evil,
> but it's an ability you have to cover the corner cases.
> Anything normal should be fully standard MIDI.

Walter Bender
One Laptop per Child
http://laptop.org