XO wireless firmware, etc.

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 18:54:32 EST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008 10:10 AM, RHS Linux User <xxx at nei.mv.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I have been following XO for some time. I see you are looking for
> someone to help with open firmware for the Marvel chipset.

Indeed. Have you looked at the Wiki page on the effort?
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Marvell_microkernel and sign yourself up.
Can you answer any of the questions there?

Are you on the OLPC devel mailing list? You can sign up at
http://lists.laptop.org/

Our IRC channel is #olpc

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Communication_channels

>    I AM willing to help. I have considerable RF experience along with low
> level software. Regards realtime OSs, I write my own. And doing 96k of
> code doesn't seem that difficult. Even the RF part is not that tough.
>
>    That said, I think a MUCH more useful direction would be to document
> the 'mesh' protocol in sufficient detail so anyone could duplicate it with
> whatever hardware, including the RF protocol and timers.

That is the point of the 802.11s standard work.

>    I suspect you will discover that Marvell is STRONGLY opposed to this
> effort despite their statements otherwise. And also that this is the part
> EFF is most as strongly in favor of.

No surprises there. No worries, either.

>    I am glad to see that the Linux end of the driver is getting some work.
> This is a good place to begin.
>
>    Personally despite the considerable work envolved, I think a 2nd
> implementation using an open radio chip and one of the ADC-FPGA
> combinations readily available would be well worth the effort.
>
>    It could serve as a reference platform to ensure production radios
> really work correctly as well as offering a way to add other devices by
> other manufacturers to the XO mesh system.

I can introduce you to other people working on Open Source Hardware if you like.

>    I am open to whatever suggestions you might have regards how I might
> help with your efforts.

Take a look at the existing Wiki pages and code, and we'll discuss it further.

>    Good luck with the XO program.
>
>    warm regards from COLD Concord, NH USA
>    --anonymous for now--
>    xxx at nei.mv.com