Violent games on the OLPC Activities page

Brad Paulsen brad.paulsen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 21:40:02 EST 2008

****Beg Disclaimer

Jeffrey, I'm replying to your message because it was the latest one in the
thread when I retrieved my 120 OLPC mailing list message today (actually,
that comes from several OLPC mailing lists, but devel seems to have the most
traffic on any given day).  So, what I say here is not a reply to you
personally.

****End Disclaimer

I think the direction this thread is taking is completely the wrong way to
go about things.  OLPC should be in the business of delivering a platform
and productivity tools (e.g., word processor, paint program, etc.).  It
should NOT be in the business of distributing content.  ANY content.  Tools
to build content, definitely (EToys, pyGames, et al.).  But NOT the content
itself.

If you folks think this little dust-up over violent games is a big deal,
just wait until the creationists, the scientologists and the new-Nazis
discover the XO.  If you take a look at some of the stuff on YouTube
criticizing the very purpose and legitimacy of the OLPC project itself, you
will know that we are going to have enough trouble just defending the
platform and the tools.  $200 USD can by a lot of rice for starving children
and there is no shortage of people out there right now trying to brand the
OLPC project as another elitist wet dream.

My advice to OLPC is to get out of the content business in any way, shape or
form as quickly as your little green computer can carry you.  You don't have
to worry about the XO not having enough educational content.  Many people
not affiliated with OLPC will be developing content for this platform.
Then, let the recipients of the machines make the content decisions using
their own, local standards.

Cheers,

Brad