Why can't i access /dev/dsp or /dev/snd on my XO

victor Victor.Lazzarini at nuim.ie
Fri Jan 18 17:24:45 EST 2008

What exactly is the problem with the alsa driver? Csound works
OK with it. Replacing it with OSS will require us to write a new
IO module for Csound. Without Csound, audio and music on
the XO will have to be completely re-written.

IMHO, developers wanting to use audio on the XO should ideally
use Csound and its Python API. That's why it's there.

As far as I am concerned, having developed audio apps for
Linux for several years, Alsa is much better and more reliable
than OSS.

Victor