Testing the Wireless driver changes

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Jan 18 14:47:29 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 01:38 +0800, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 10:08 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > Yes.  The active antennas firmware would need to be slightly altered to
> > start on firmware boot, but the normal XO firmware should certainly be
> > radio-off-until-driver-enabled (by setting IFF_UP or device open).
>
> Let us make a clear distinction between the two types of 'active
> antenna' here. The ones which are actually attached to servers and
> acting as wireless devices for a computer, we want to act like in the
> XO. When they come up automatically into mesh repeater mode, that's
> actually a complete PITA -- and it means we can't reboot the servers
> because then the driver can't initialise the wireless because it's in
> mesh repeater mode and doesn't respond properly to being reset.

So wait, what's going on here?  I thought the devices attached to school
servers were just run-of-the-mill USB 8388 devices like the 8388
daughterboard of the XO, but different connector, right?

What is the post-boot firmware flash functionality supposed to apply to,
the host-less active antenna? (which is what I heretofore had
understood).

Dan