Violent games on the OLPC Activities page

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu Jan 17 19:36:06 EST 2008

On Friday 18 January 2008, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> I see no point in OLPC
> arguing with either governments or families about their rights in
> these matters. Others may wish to, but that is no part of the question
> before us.

I think this is exactly the point. Distributing violent games to
minors is a violation of the law in many countries, so you just can't
do it unless you start adding filters by IP-address or similar.

Other examples would be a book about sex education being illegal
in countries that count any display of nudity as pornography, or
religious works being illegal in countries that forbid material
contradicting their own religion.

Unlike the 'doom' example, I think it's very clear that these
works have their place in an education project, but it still needs
to be controlled so that the OLPC project is not breaking the law.

	Arnd <><