Violent games on the OLPC Activities page

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 16:15:13 EST 2008

Thanks, Chris.

And thanks to Ties, Bryan, Noah, and all for sharing their coments --
please use this effort to build a great set of guidelines for what
makes a good activity.  This is as good a place as any to reiterate
the need for overall guidelines for what makes for a good or even a
great activity... and to add better structure to the activities pages,
with a page for the best activities and one for public review.

A serious review of Doom [fast, well-programmed, modularly-skinned,
open source] in line with educational goals would not be wasted -- my
guess is that with some art and music and sound effort, and some AI
tweaks, one could use its engine and most of its levels to produce a
world-class educational game that teaches about 2.5-d motion, careful
control, and  with no hint of violence.

Please see [[Activity guidelines]] on the wiki, seeded with Walter's
comments from October and a few more recent discussions, and update
them with your own contributions and thoughts.  One thing is certain :
[[Activities]] is too long, and includes many things we would not
recommend others download or try out, for a variety of reasons.

Cheers,
SJ