Testing the Wireless driver changes

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 13:41:09 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 12:32 -0500, Michail Bletsas wrote:
> There is quite a bit of important history removed from this discussion.
>
> We designed the laptop to be able to do mesh forwarding *all the time*.
> This was a fundamental decision because it affected every other choice
> that we made in the wireless subsystem.
>
> One of the issues that it introduced is that it makes the radio deviate
> from what "proper" radio behavior is supposed to be under Linux these
> days: when you bring an interface down (ifconfig eth0 down), its radio
> should be disabled. If you don't bring the interface up on boot, the radio
> should stay off. Pretty clean and simple.
>
> When it comes to our radio - we *designed it* to start forward frames soon
> after you initialize it and keep doing it regardless of what the host
> interface does.
> That's why we used a radio with its own CPU and memory.
>
> So things like "iwconfig eth0 txpower off" might be doing the right thing,
> however they do so (if they do**) indirectly, by controlling the host
> interface.
>
> There is an "iwpriv eth0 radiooff/radioon" IOCTL hook in the firmware
> which was meant to control the radio power directly - it was removed a few
> months ago since it wasn't considered to its thing in the "proper" linux
> manner.
>
> And ever since we keep having this "airplane mode" discussion.....
>
> M.
>
> ** I don't know how "iwconfig eth0 txpower off" is implemented, if it uses
> the same IOCTL with "iwpriv eth0 radiooff", then it is doing the right
> thing.

Yes.

iwconfig eth0 txpower off -----> lbs_radio_ioctl(priv, RADIO_OFF);
    which does CMD_802_11_RADIO_CONTROL (control = !TURN_ON_RF)

iwconfig eth0 txpower auto ----> lbs_radio_ioctl(priv, RADIO_ON);
    which does CMD_802_11_RADIO_CONTROL (control = TURN_ON_RF)
    then does CMD_802_11_RF_TX_POWER (dbm = 0xFFFF)

which is what I understood the radioon/radiooff stuff to do anyway,
hence the objection to another non-standard ioctl.

Dan