problem compiling the firmware

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Thu Jan 17 12:25:03 EST 2008

Mr frÿffffffffffe9dÿffffffffffe9ric pouchal wrote:
> Hello
>
> I downloaded the firmware
>
> svn co svn://openbios/openfirmware

I assume you meant "openbios.org", not just "openbios".

> then
>
> cd ./cpu/x86/pc/olpc/build

I assume you first did "cd openfirmware"

> make clean
> make
>
> and I get this error
>
> make[1]: Entering directory
> '/openfirmware/clients/memtest86'
>
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'head.S', needed
> by 'head.s'. Stop.

That is rather strange, since head.S is in the svn tree at revision
775.   See
http://openbios.org/viewvc/clients/memtest86/head.S?root=OpenFirmware&view=log

My best guess is that the svn checkout process didn't complete for some
reason, resulting in some files missing from your tree (e.g.
clients/memtest86/head.S).

> make[1]: Leaving directory
> '/openfirmware/clients/memtest86'
>
> make: *** [../../../../../clients/memtest86/memtest]
> Error 2
>
> I run debian 4.0r1 and I have gcc-4.1

I'm running debian unstable on my main work machine, with gcc 4.2.1.  I
just tried a fresh pull / build from svn and it worked with no
problems.  I doubt that the problem is related to OS and compiler
versions; the OFW build process works with a variety of gcc versions.