Switch to a sane packaging and upgrade system

ffm ffm at intserverror.com
Wed Jan 16 17:22:07 EST 2008

olpc-update wipes out everything not in /home when it rsyncs. This would be
otherwise fine, but the current use of olpc-update presents some difficulty
in various use cases:

1) Alice's teacher wants her to use a flash (non-gnash working) web site for
her homework. Her teacher had set it up for her in class, but as she walked
home, her XO was auto-updated to the new version. This undid all of the
changes that installed non-free flash, and made Alice late on her homework.

2) Bob is a developer. He tries out new packages on his development XO, but
likes to be up to date with the latest joyride. Due to olpc-update's
kill-it-all mentality, all of the wonderful things (VLC, Skype, etc) are
wiped out multiple times a day.

Any ideas?

I thought we could just use a metapackage called olpc-standard, and make it
depend on whatever is needed. That way, we still get to use a nice packaging
system w/o removing all non /home customizations.

-ffm