Fwd: Dailymotion for XO laptop

Rob Savoye rob at welcomehome.org
Wed Jan 16 13:54:38 EST 2008

tridge at samba.org wrote:

> no, it does not need to be thrashed out either in the press or in
> court. The aim is to avoid both. What you need to do is produce
> detailed claim charts, along with a set of non-infringement
> arguments. Once you have those then you can work out how to write your
> code so as to avoid the patent. This isn't always possible, but it
> often is.

  I'm actually considering an approach like this, because the Gnash
project is in the same basic boat as Samba when it comes to protocols
and other things. Unless we research this, we'll never know...

> Not true at all. I have handled the patent avoidance for Samba for a
> long time now, and it has generally taken me a few weeks per patent
> with a good patent attorney to come up with a solid non-infringement
> argument. Those are intensive weeks, but it is certainly not years.

  I think it is work the effort, and would like to figure out how we on
the Gnash team can do this.

> Whether the effort involved is worth it depends how much of an
> impediement these codec patents are to the success of the OLPC

  This issue is much more important to the Gnash project I think than
the OLPC. While we do prefer emphasizing using free codecs, the simple
fact is most of the content on the net is in a proprietary format, so we
don't have much choice but to find ways to support them. Since often
these web sites use flash to stream the video, it seems the problems
lands on us Gnash developers to work out a solution...

	- rob -