Classroom tools

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Wed Jan 16 12:39:49 EST 2008

> BTW, I am confused by this discussion thread. I thought OLPC was about
> bringing learning environments into the reach of the neglected children -
> those who don't have access to well-equipped school rooms or educated
> guides.
> Does XO really make sense in environments that already have well-equipped
> classrooms and teachers?

Any country in the world has dedicated, caring teachers. And in any country
in the world, teachers - whether dedicated or not - are an important
constituency in education decisions. If OLPC aims solely at
where-there-is-no-teacher, it's aiming at precisely nowhere. (I live and
teach in Guatemala, roughly middle-of-the-pack for the third world, if
that's worth anything.)

Jameson