Testing the Wireless driver changes

Giannis Galanis giannisgalanis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 19:29:09 EST 2008

David,

There are a couple of issues i would like to address, mostly related to the
new wireless driver.

First, the netstat command:
About 50% of the time it becomes very slow(practically freezes) and spews a
"getnameinfo error".
The result from strace is:
---------------
socket(PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 4
connect(4, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(53), sin_addr=inet_addr("
172.18.0.1")}, 28) = 0
fcntl64(4, F_GETFL)                     = 0x2 (flags O_RDWR)
fcntl64(4, F_SETFL, O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK)  = 0
gettimeofday({1200442106, 340565}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=4, events=POLLOUT, revents=POLLOUT}], 1, 0) = 1
send(4, "\270\227\1\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\1e\0017\1c\1e\1c\0010\1e\1f\1f\1f"...,
90, MSG_NOSIGNAL) = 90
poll( <unfinished ...>
----------------
It seems(according to Bernie)..that netstat makes queries to the DNS server
but it is temporarily down. Still if you execute the command a couple of
time it works again, but is a very regular phenomenon. This should be a
network issue, and not a driver issue, but can you confirm that?

Also, the msh0 interface is named after msh0_rename. Is there a reason for
that? Will this change back to normal in the future? How will it be in
Update1?. This inconsistency causes some issues in the olpc-netstatus
command utility.

Can you also please describe the changes from the user's perspective that
are changed/improved in the new driver. So we know were to start testing
from.
For example,
what is the situation with mesh on or off
is the mesh-start file still in use
are improvements related to 4470

thanx,

yani