Classroom tools

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 18:24:23 EST 2008

2008/1/14 Wade Brainerd <wadetb at gmail.com>:
> Yeah, I was thinking along these lines with the Pop Quiz activity.
>
> The teacher (the activity initiator) gets a screen showing a box for a
> question, a box for the answer, and a box for every student that is sharing
> the activity.
>
> She types in a question, it is posed to the children, they type in their
> answers.  When done, she types in her answer, which is delivered to the
> students, and their boxes are marked correct or incorrect on her screen.

You are making important assumptions here. The first is that the
teacher is only asking questions that have right answers. The second
is that the "right" answer is actually correct. This is frequently not
the case, particularly outside the realms of math and physics. But
even in math, teachers and textbooks frequently give incorrect
information. The notion that you can't add apples and oranges, for
example. This is what algebra is *for*. It is true that when you add
apples and oranges, you don't get a total that is all one or the
other, but to claim that you just can't do it is simply insane.
According to Richard Feynman, the books used in the Los Angeles
Unified School District in his day were appalling, and I don't know of
any reason to suppose that any others are any better, except the few
written by serious mathematicians like Ken Iverson.

I am interested in the case where the teacher asks an open-ended
question for the children to explore in some manner. I am also
interested in other cases, such as the original "out of the box"
puzzle, which asks for the minimum number of connected straight lines
that can be drawn to cover nine dots in a 3 x 3 square. Five is
trivial; four is the classic "outside the box" solution; children have
discovered solutions in three lines and one line.

"It is nothing short of a miracle that modern methods of instruction
have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiousity of
inquiry."--Albert Einstein

"The world we have made, as a result of the level of thinking we have
done thus far, creates problems we cannot solve at the same level of
thinking at which we created them."--Albert Einstein

Edward Cherlin
Earth Treasury: End Poverty at a Profit
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/