passwords, etc.

Ed Montgomery edm at rocketmail.com
Sat Jan 12 23:09:08 EST 2008

Regarding the note about the 'paranoid' password
filtering, etc.

Changing passwords as root does not involve any of the
'too short', 'too similar', etc. problems mentioned.
Root, being god-like, can change any password to
anything.  For regular users, it is an education about
password security! :-)  (Since, in my experience, they
always ask me 'why?' ;-)).  However, if it really,
really bothers you, then why not simply remove the
filtering from the source code, recompile, and call
it, oh, I don't know, perhaps something like 'spasswd'
for 'simple password', and then you can customize it,
avoid problems mentioned, etc.

I.e., "Use the source, Luke!"