disabling root and olpc passwords

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Jan 12 18:18:08 EST 2008

The 2008-1-12 OLPC News says "... so that we can finally disable the
root and olpc passwords".

The way I have my G1G1 system set up (I have no wireless) I *need*
to ftp in.  For that, I have set a password for olpc.  It would be
ok with me to set up a different user+password for ftp, but would
*not* be ok for password support to be "disabled".

Also, I don't believe in the "political correctness" of not using
root.  I do need to install/remove/change things as root, and
*strongly* prefer not to use 'sudo' for that -- I log in as root,
and am willing to take the risk of committing a disastrous mistake.
  Here, too, having a password seems "natural" to me.

I agree with the aim of making the OLPC simple to use, but please
don't take passwords away entirely.

mikus

p.s.  I presume the existing 'passwd' command was taken from Fedora.
  It is too paranoid, forbidding too_short passwords,
too_homogeneous passwords, too_similar passwords, etc., etc., etc.
Such rules may be needed for a datacenter - but for a schoolroom?